8350 North Tamiami Trail, Sarasota
Until 2006, USF Sarasota-Manatee shared a campus with New College of Florida. In 1989 the State of Florida purchased a 28.5-acre tract of land adjacent to New College for the future expansion of the campus. In 2003 USF Sarasota-Manatee and New College of Florida executed a Joint Relocation and Use Plan to relocate the USF Sarasota-Manatee physical facilities to the adjacent tract of land and to maintain a limited number of shared-use facilities for the benefit of both institutions. The State Legislature approved $30 million for the USF Sarasota-Manatee academic center during 2003-05 biennium, which was supplemented with $7.5 million in private donations and State of Florida matching-grant funds.
The USF Sarasota-Manatee campus facilities opened to students in August 2006. With the capability to serve 5,000 students, the three-story, 120,939 gross-square-foot building provides improved access to higher education for the local community.
Highlights of the campus physical facilities include the following:
- A three-story-high entrance rotunda that functions as the signature visual element and central social space for the campus community;
- 24 classrooms of varying size adaptable to the most-preferred teaching environment; each classroom is equipped with advanced instructional technology, projection, and recording capabilities;
- Three (3) classroom/teaching labs equipped with portable laptop computers;
- Training and open-use computer labs;
- Two (2) video-conference classrooms equipped to accommodate distance learning;
- A 200-seat lecture facility, capable of accommodating a variety of functions with multiple seating arrangements; the facility is equipped with advanced-technology equipment for teaching, projection and recording, and distance learning;
- Separate and distinct building areas for each college and academic unit, including faculty and administrative offices and conference spaces; these areas are designed to provide an identifiable presence for each college while promoting greater opportunities for faculty interactions;
- An Information Commons for study and research that is electronically linked to the USF Tampa campus library and the USF Sarasota-Manatee and New College of Florida shared-use library;
- An enlarged and prominently-located student services area to promote greater access to one-stop services for students, including records, registration, academic advising, financial aid, career counseling, and recruiting;
- A centrally located business office area to promote consolidated services to the campus community for financial transactions, human resources, photocopying, and administrative services;
- Student activity rooms, student government offices, conference rooms, social areas, a recreation lounge, and a fitness center to support student activities;
- On-campus food service with spacious, interior seating and a pleasant, trellis-covered, outdoor dining and social area;
- A central exterior courtyard and pond for passive and active recreational use; physical improvements to enhance the quality of the courtyard, increase security, and promote usage by the campus community were completed in 2009, including additional landscaping, fountains, lighting, shade structures, and other amenities;
- 650 parking spaces with adequate parking for campus activities;
- Physical facilities that exceed the ADA minimum requirements for accessibility by the physically challenged;
- Wireless technology available throughout the campus, including outdoor public spaces; and
- A separate physical plant facility to provide adequate utility and infrastructure services to support the campus physical facilities.
Please refer to Floor Plans for additional information.
In addition to the facilities described above, USF Sarasota-Manatee operates and maintains five (5) one and two-story buildings comprising a total of 32,415 gross-square-feet on a 3.3 acre tract of land located approximately ¼ mile south of the main facilities. These buildings, referred to as the Viking Complex, were constructed in 1959 and operated as a motel prior to their purchase by the State of Florida in 1983 for future campus expansion. One (1) of the buildings houses the campus bookstore that a private-sector vendor operates and manages to provide services for USF Sarasota-Manatee and New College of Florida. The remaining four (4) buildings provide administrative support, office space, and storage. These buildings require substantial capital investment for improvements to meet the minimum standards for adequacy of physical space and current building code requirements for occupancy. The 2005-2015 Campus Master Plan Update designates the Viking Complex for removal and replacement .
USF Sarasota-Manatee at North Port Instructional Site
5920 Pan American Boulevard, North Port
(Effective August 2010)
Due to dramatic enrollment growth and a need for increased visibility, USF Sarasota-Manatee relocated the USF Sarasota-Manatee at Venice instructional site from the State College of Florida at Venice to a high-visibility location in the City of North Port in August 2010. Classes began at the North Port location with Fall Semester 2010. The instructional site houses 6,420 square feet of Class A commercial space in a leased building constructed in 2008. The lease agreement specifies an eight-year lease term that will expire in April 2018. Facilities Planning and Management operates and maintains the instructional site in accordance with the terms of the lease agreement.
The facility offers expanded opportunities for academic offerings in a physical facility that includes four (4) classrooms, video-conference facilities, an information commons, six (6) faculty offices, administrative and support space, and parking for sixty (60) cars. USF Sarasota-Manatee also maintains an option for additional space within the building to accommodate future growth. All classroom and teaching spaces provide advanced instructional technology consistent with USF Sarasota-Manatee technology standards and levels of service. Students can retrieve library information via the USF Sarasota-Manatee on-line library resources.
The North Port City Commission has expressed support for the relocation as being consistent with the North Port Economic Development Strategic Plan. The Commission agreed to provide an annual financial incentive to USF Sarasota-Manatee of $25,000 per year for the initial five (5) years of the lease term. Additionally, the City of North Port has committed to provide adjacent City-owned property for parking, enhanced security resources, and a waiver of municipal development and impact fees.
The Gulf Coast Community Foundation of Venice awarded USF Sarasota-Manatee a grant of $170,000 over two (2) years to cover the salary and benefits for one (1) full-time faculty member and two (2) part-time faculty members in the College of Business, who are based at USF Sarasota-Manatee at North Port.